Areas of Expertise
- Civil procedure, sanctions, costs, procedure, limitation
and civil evidence. Gordon writes the well-received Civil Litigation Brief, there are numerous
articles and posts on all these matters which reflect his experience and
- Personal injury damages, future losses and
loss of earnings. He has written the
last three editions of the authoritative text, Munkman on damages for
Personal Injury and Death.
- Civil disputes, damages, enforcement of
- Civil evidence, witness evidence and e-disclosure.
- Professional negligence, particularly
arising out of problems with litigation.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in the area
of fatal accidents, he is instructed by solicitors throughout the country. Gordon
writes the APIL Guide to Fatal Accidents, the third edition of which was published
Gordon’s practice focuses on civil disputes,
sanctions, personal injury and damages. He has an enormous depth of knowledge,
having appeared in numerous cases, written a number of books and lectured
frequently in these areas of law.
- Murray –v- BAE  (successful appeal on
relief from sanctions hearing where costs budget served late).
- Worthington –v- 03918424 Ltd  (costs after late acceptance of a Part 36
- Pykett –v- Clement  EWCA Civ 2925 (issue
of liability owed by overtaking driver causing substantial injuries).
- Re M (2011) (Lawtel) £4 million CICA award.
- Re S (2011) (Lawtel) £3.6 million CICA award.
- Motor Insurers Bureau –v- Shikhell  EWHC
527 (QB)(Successful defence of witness in personal injury case alleged to
have been in contempt of court)
- Hodinott –v- Persimmon Homes  1 WLR 806.
(Appropriate procedure for challenging service of the claim form)
- O’Hara –v- McDougall  All ER D 275 (service
on tenant’s address not good service on landlord).
- Smith –v- Hughes  1 WLR 2441
(appropriate address for service for service of claim form).
- Lunnun –v- Singh  All ER D 718 (effect
on judgment on ability to defend claim for damages).
Counsel in several cases relating to loss of career chances of professional
fatal accident cases representing widows, widowers and children.
and representing children and mothers in clinical negligence and cerebral
mentally handicapped claimants on appeals to the CICA, several multi million
- Cases relating to procedural and limitation
issues and problems arising out of the Civil Procedure Rules.
- Munkman on Damages for Personal Injury and
Death (11th, 12th and 13th editions)
- Personal Injury Practice Notes (2nd, 3rd and
- The APIL Guide to Fatal Accidents (1st , 2nd
& 3rd editions
- Periodical Payments the New Law.
- Gordon was editor of Personal Injury
Precedents (Sweet and Maxwell, looseleaf) and is author of the section on
limitation for APIL Personal Injury looseleaf. Gordon also wrote the section
on Service of the Claim Form and the Early Stages of Litigation in The Law
Society's Litigation Handbook (2nd edition).
- Gordon also writes his own blogs 'Civil
Litigation Brief' http://civillitigationbrief.wordpress.com/
, ‘Fatal Accident Law’ http://fatalaccidentlaw.wordpress.com/ and’ Accidents at Work
after The Enterprise and Regulatory Reform
Act 2013’ http://accidentsatworkaftertheerra.wordpress.com/
Recent articles include:
- 'Do I
want your opinion?' (June 2013) - Local Government Lawyer. Please click here to read the full article.
is not necessarily golden' (March 2013) - Local Government Lawyer. Please
click here to read the article.
categories of dependants remain closed' (November 2012) - APIL PI Focus.
Please click here to read the article.
accidents and fatal errors' (April 2012) - APIL PI Focus.
Please click here to read the article
- 'Fifty five
years old and counting' (April 2012) - APIL PI Focus. Please
click here to read the article.
Gordon has lectured and
broadcast widely on the issues of civil procedure and personal injury. Recent webcasts include: “Drafting Witness
Statements”; “Myths about limitation for personal injury lawyers. Gordon has lectured on sanctions for the
Law Society Civil Litigation Group and the Association of Costs Lawyers
annual conference. He has lectured on procedure, limitation, witness
statements, fatal accidents and accidents at work for Zenith Chambers. Gordon
has lectured at the Association of Costs Lawyers annual conference; given the
headline speech at the MASS annual meeting and chaired several national conferences
on law and procedure and spoken at the PIBA annual conference.
In his spare time Gordon plays guitar and mandolin, he is involved in several
bands, playing at charity events.