James Corbett QC is an authority in cross-border litigation and arbitration in London and Commonwealth countries, with an emphasis on disputes in the financial services and technology industries and insolvency contexts. He was appointed a Deputy High Court Judge in England and Wales, and has served as a Recorder of the Crown Court.
Mr. Corbett QC has deep experience in international arbitrations and is a Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a qualified mediator (CEDR), a Fellow of the Hong Kong and Singapore Institutes of Arbitrators, and a member of the London Court of International Arbitration and many other arbitration panels.
Areas of Expertise
· Chancery and commercial litigation (commonly with an international element)
· Company law, including in particular shareholder disputes, claims by and against directors and disqualification of directors
· Insolvency - corporate and personal
· Intellectual property - including trademarks, passing off and copyright
· Arbitration and mediation
· Harper –v- Interchange Group Limited  EWHC 1834 (Comm)
· Nearfield Limited –v- Lincoln Nominees Limited  1 All ER (Comm) 441
· Chahal -v- Mahal et al  2 BCLC 655
· Re Ross (No. 2)  BPIR
· Re Rotadata Limited  1 BCLC 122 (minority shareholder rights)
· Re Maple Environmental Services Limited  BCC 93 (voluntary arrangements)
· Official Receiver -v- Brady  BCC 258 (companies as directors).
· Forbes -v- Smith  1 All ER 973 (confidentiality of judgments)
· Re Lichfield Freight Terminal Limited  2 BCLC 109 (disqualification).
· Re Gibson Davis Limited  BCC 11 (disqualification) (disqualification)
A trial in the Turks and Caicos Islands concerning the sale and development of a plot of land worth $US 36 million in Grace Bay, Providenciales.
Litigation in Jersey alleging breach of trust against a Jersey Trust company.
A shareholder dispute in Anguilla involving shares worth up to $US 200 million.
An action in St Kitts & Nevis for specific performance of a contract for the sale of land.
A multi-million dollar trust claim in the Royal Court of Jersey against a trust company in Anguilla (with various interim and Beddoe applications in Anguilla).
Advising an appellant in an appeal to the House of Lords in a case principally about resulting and constructive trusts in a quasi-matrimonial context.
A multi-million pound claim and counter-claim between a US international franchisor and its London franchisee.
Trade mark and related litigation between an international motor manufacturer and its English dealers.
Bankruptcy litigation in the Court of Appeal arising out of concealed beneficial ownership of foreign assets.
STEP Caribbean conference, The Cayman Islands, May 2007 (“In the Red: Trusts, Liabilities and Insolvency”